Since I didn't go back to America during the winter break I didn't have as much of a chance to see a lot of the Oscar hopefuls this year. So I waited until the end of the month in order to try and see as many of the most heralded films of the year, but I missed a lot of highly praised films-I'll try to see as many of them as I can. Here's my limited list:
1. Gravity-amazing film going experience on the big screen in 3D.
2. Inside Llewyn Davis-the Coens can do no wrong, another entertaining music driven film.
3. The Wolf of Wallstreet-Scorsese's best film since Goodfellas.
4. American Hustle-great performances, hair, clothes, and music.
5. Francis Ha-Noah Baumbauch's latest NY story as told channeling the French New Wave.
6. Before Midnight-another chapter in the fascinating saga.
7. The Grandmaster-Wong Kar-wai makes a gorgeous looking martial arts film.
8. The Place Beyond the Pines-Blue Valentine part two?
9. Blue Jasmine-outstanding performance by Cate Blanchett.
10. The World's End-when Edgar Wright and co. get it right it's always entertaining.
That being said I am sure some of the following films would have made the list had I seen them and I do plan to see them: 12 Years A Slave, Nebraska, Dallas Buyers Club, At Berkeley, and Fruitvale Station.